Dean of Swinburne Research and Dev, Lisa M Given, in The Conversation suggests some straightforward ways to fill the gap left by Facebook restrictions:
- Sign up to Australian news organisations’ websites, apps and print subscriptions
- Use non-Australian news organisations’ apps and websites
- Use other social media platforms, such as Twitter, that feature Australian news.
There are also some craftier strategies you can use to get around the restrictions, including:
- scrolling through content on international organisations’ Facebook pages (such as www.facebook.com/nytimes) while not logged into your account
- accessing Facebook subpages (such as www.facebook.com/nytimesscience) while logged into your account; these appear not to be affected by the ban in the same way as the organisations’ main Facebook pages
- taking photos and screenshots of sources to share on Facebook, instead of direct links
- asking friends, family and others overseas to send articles via email or messaging services.
Let us know if you found other work-arounds.