In the mid-1970’s I realised that neither Labor nor Liberal were providing good governance for Australia. Change was, and still is, required. I became an active member of the Liberal Movement (later, the New Liberal Movement) NSW branch. Consequently, I became a foundation member of the Australian Democrats when they were formed.
I was particularly impressed with the principle of membership control of the Party, with representatives and policies determined by membership secret ballots.
Even the name “Australian Democrats” is the result of a membership ballot. I believe that the principles of honesty, tolerance, and compassion deserve much more prominence in the governance of Australia. It is clear that Australia’s current “two-party system” is a corruption of democratic process, and is moving inexorably towards a kleptocracy.
The preoccupation of Labor and Liberal with this political game has led to the neglect of governance processes, and the failure of the government to provide the benefits that every Australian should expect as an outcome of our collective efforts. We don’t seek parliamentary representation just to look after our mates, or profit personally. The Australian Democrats continue to champion the rights of all Australians, to provide paths that will lead to a more equitable Australian society, and to shine the light of truth on the Australian Parliament.
Following my endorsement, I will form a campaign team and establish my profile as a suitable voting option for the residents of Eden Monaro. I will work closely with the Senate candidates to raise our profile.
I will campaign on local issues, while keeping a national context in focus, and give the Australian Democrats a high profile. I will demonstrate how Australian Democrats policies will provide for improvements in the way local people deal with the Federal government, and improvements in what the Federal government provides for local people.
We will look after our fellow Australians, and any person in Australia, far better than is the current case. Imagine that – a government that is honest, tolerant, and compassionate!
I would like to thank the NSW State and the National Executive Committees for all the energy, time, and skill that they are devoting to ensuring that we continue as a force of honesty and stability in these troubled times.
I ask for your support in my efforts to assist, and may the force be with us!
NSW Public Sector Rail Instrumentalities – various roles – 27 years
Australian Transport Safety Bureau – Senior Investigator – 5 years
RailCorp NSW – Contractor
V/Line Regional Rail project – Contractor
Metro Trains Melbourne – Contractor
ACT Government – Surveillance Officer, Light Rail construction
- Bachelor of engineering (Civil) – University of Wollongong)
- Master of Business Administration (Technology Management) – La Trobe University
- Wingecarribee Shire Council – Aust Democrats Councillor 1995 to 1999
- Yass Valley Council – Councillor 2012 to 2016
- Australian Institute of Company Directors – Foundation Fellow
- Australian Democrats – Foundation Member, NSW Senior Vice President, Endorsed Candidate for election on 17 occasions
- Professionals Australia (formerly APESMA) – National Assembly member 25 years
- APESMA Transport Division – National President 2002-03
- Permanent Way Institute – Fellow
- Railway Technical Society of Australasia – past Member
- University of Wollongong Alumni Association – Life Member
- Moss Vale Rural Lands Protection Board – Director, Deputy Chairman 1997 – 2001
- Standards Australia Committee LG/10 (AS4282 Obtrusive Effects of Outdoor Lighting) – Member 1996 to 1999
- Confederation of Australian Motor Sports & Formula 1 Senior Official
- Former Justice of the Peace
- Member, Canberra Morris Club; and member, Daimler Lanchester Owners Car Club Australia