See here for our Election 2022 Climate and Environment platforms
To push governments to ensure we contribute as much as possible as a nation to the global reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and ensure Australia anticipates and is prepared for the social, ecological and economic consequences of climate change.
We believe society has a duty to respond to the global challenges of climate change. We focus on our responsibilities as global citizens to protect and preserve the natural world around us, as the provider of human life and wealth, for both current and future generations. This is to be applied in conjunction with the Energy Policy.
The Australian Democrats will support legislation that:
- ensures partnerships between environment and industry to achieve economic growth, jobs, and a sustainable clean environment
- ensures the transition to a sustainable, diverse and decentralised energy economy based on renewable sources, transitioning to a low-carbon energy sector whilst maintaining energy security and reliability to meet the needs of all communities
- protects human and environmental health by minimising and preventing climate change impacts caused by human activity through substantially reducing emissions
- ensures Australian coastal and marine ecosystems have comprehensive and representative protected areas
- ensures planetary biological diversity by anticipating, preventing and stopping processes that threaten biodiversity and fostering greater ecological awareness
- supports population density in a way that is in keeping with the environment’s capacity to sustain human numbers and that acknowledges Australia’s international human rights obligations
- ensures availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all and systems that provide for productivity, resilience and liveability, including the ecosystem services of catchments, waterways, and related groundwater
- ensures appropriate actions are developed, funded and undertaken that address all facets of the biosecurity continuum
- supports the work of and encourages partnership with, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in land management and regeneration
- contributes directly to international initiatives pressuring developed nations to financially support developing countries to choose less damaging environmental options
These policies were ratified by the members between the 15th – 28th of April, 2019. Australian Democrats policies are always subject to review – our policy volunteers consult with stakeholders outside the party, and members are strongly encouraged to participate by giving feedback at all stages of the policy process. If you have feedback or questions about our policies, contact us.